Saturday, August 15, 2009

Two Jobs

The more observant among you will have noticed that the last sermon posted here was for Lamb of God, not Our Savior Norwood Park. My wife and I have decided that driving down to Chicago every week was simply getting too stressful for us, especially in view of how we both had to fit our respective jobs in. Tina works 4-8 am on Saturdays and Mondays, and so dropping me off and picking me up at the Antioch, IL Walmart both Saturday and Sunday (after Church) has meant that she was getting next to no sleep on the weekends, which is very detrimental to her health.

I appreciate the opportunity Our Savior congregation has given me to preach the Word and administer the Sacraments to them, and I have asked them to keep my name on their call list. I had, of course, hoped that the vacancy would not last nearly as long as it has, and simply driving down there each week and staying in a hotel one night a week has become very stressful for us, more so the longer the vacancy lasted, not to mention the fact that several of our pet birds became very stressed that we weren't home every night.

I do keep Our Savior Norwood Park in my prayers, as they do need a pastor right now, one who can be there more than once or twice a week for a few hours at a time. I ask any of you who read this to do the same. Of course, as mentioned in a previous post, I am off CRM status, having a part-time call to Lamb of God in Pleasant Prairie, WI, and on Sundays when I'm not "on duty" there I am once again available for pulpit supply around the area.

It was not an easy decision to discontinue serving Our Savior in their vacancy. I have grown to love the congregation, as any pastor does for those placed in his care. I originally accepted the offer to serve them with the understanding that, whether or not I would be their next pastor, the vacancy would be relatively short and so we would only be spending weekends away from home for a few months. Of course, the vacancy has lasted much longer than that, and Tina and I have our limits. I pray that God will watch over and provide for Our Savior congregation and the saints who gather around Word and Sacrament there, and that God will continue to provide me with opportunities to serve at His altar into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment